Nakyesanja – Ggalabi Development Savings and Credit Cooperative Society Limited (NGADEA- SACCO Ltd.) is a registered savings and credit Co-operative Society that provides financial services with the objective to improve the social- economic welfare of its members and other subscribers .It is found within the Microfinance Sector under the Co-operative society category as provided for by Bank of Uganda. It operates under the Uganda Co-operative societies Statute 1991, Regulations 1992, society’s Bye-Law and Circulars; the society basically belongs to residents of MUDUUMA sub-county who found it in 2008 assisted by Nakyesanja- Ggalabi Development Association, under the Microfinance program. The SACCO provides savings and credit as the main financial facilities to its members. It is the only people owned financial institution with a self help motive in Mpigi District. NGADEA- SACCO is headquartered in Bulamu Trading centre, in Muduuma sub-county, in Mawokota North constituency, Mpigi District.
The Society’s Vision and Mission
Vision: Provision of quality Financial related services to members and the community
Mission: NGADE SACCO Ltd is a Co-operative society providing quality financial services for the wellbeing of its members.
- To improve the social and economic status of its members and the community at large, by extending loanable funds to members at relatively low interest rates, to enable them meet their financial needs and be able to generate more income to sustain basic and secondary needs.
- To provide quality and sustainable financial services, to improve on members’ initiated projects by extending financial services nearer and easier for the members to access the SACCO facilities.
- To generate sufficient funds to handle credit demands, to economically empower our clients and support Government objectives of alleviating poverty,
- To maintain a rational level of resources for the community, Promote Environment, Health and Education.
- Support other programs to reduce Hunger, HIV AIDs, etc. and explore new investment fields and commodity marketing for the community.
HISTORY AND CURRENT POSITION:
After a careful analysis, consultation and research, it was discovered that the community was affected by lack of access to financial Institutions to offer financial services, which, affected generally all other sectors of production and contributed to a number of challenges. These included; lack of sustainable income generating projects leading to high poverty levels, lack of adequate and enough food, low literacy levels, encroachment on environment, poor resource management and poor Agro production. For that matter, Gifted Divine Ministry together with Nakyesanja -Ggalabi Development Association, embarked on a program to establish a community member- owned financial institution that required low capitalization yet a legal entity, thus NGADEA SACCO LTD.
NGADEA SACCO LTD was formed to create a pool of financial resources in order to provide financial services to members in form of savings, credit and provide other financial related services, most especially in Agriculture. Members were required to purchase shares, pay membership and encouraged to save. The funds that were accumulated were extended to members in form of loans at an interest rate of 12% per year. The society, was registered (No.P.2380/RCS) in 2011 under section 5 of the Co-operative society’s statue of 1991 in the names of Nakyesanja _Ggalabi Development savings and credit Co-operative society Ltd. To date we have a clientele line of 318 members, it takes only 40 US dollars to extend credit to a first time borrower as principle.
However due to low income of members, the funds that were gathered were minimal compared to the demand for credit, in other wards the Demand for loans exceeds the total liquidity. This therefore calls for an intervention by people of good will and the donor community to donate to this effort given that 40 US Dollars can impact a member’s life.