Food production and food security program is an intervention that intends to ensure enough and adequate food, to eradicate Hunger, avoid farmer exploitation, and encourage value addition with an ultimate goal to end Hunger and Poverty, ensure food security and enough income from agro produce for the farmers in Muduuma sub county, Mpigi District.
Building capacity at grassroots to realize better living condition
Empowered, Hunger and poverty free village
After a careful analysis, consultation and research, lack of enough and adequate food, Farmer exploitation (low income from Agro produce), poor farming methods, price fluctuation, low quality Agro produce and encroachment on the environment, were found to affect farmers in Muduuma sub county Mpigi District. These were caused by lack of value addition Technologies to Agro produce, poor storage facilities and lack of market linkage.
The project intervention has conducted trainings in modern farming methods, established Food processing unit (value addition center), and intends to establish a food crib (storage facility) and a marketing post (food store) to buy and sell farmers’ produce at a relative price. These project activities target to see such challenges mentioned earlier solved, to realize food security through proper storage facilities, adequate income through value addition and market linkage through the marketing post.
GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
- To add value to Agro produce; A processing unit has been established for Agro produce especially for Maize and Ground nuts to bail out farmers from traders exploitation.
- To increase farmers income through Value Addition; Farmers have been trained to add value to their produce before they sell them off to generate enough income from their produce.
- To support farmer groups with entrepreneurship skills, encourage profitable Agro enterprises and provide linkage to markets. Members have established income generating projects and a marketing post would be established for the community to sell and or buy Agro produce.
- To encourage both Animal and crop husbandry; the project has established a backward and forward linkage to both crop and Animal farming, the project would produce both Animal and poultry feeds and this would produce better Organic farming that would give high quality produce that would be processed for Animal feeds.
- Develop partnership and collaboration with other stakeholders in development. Through networking the proposed project intends to partner with other development stake holders to cause development to the area of operation, these include the government, community based organizations, NGOs, FBOs, Donor agencies, Financial institutions, Private sector and individuals.
The project Total cost is $10,000/=